6/9 What is Identity?

In their article, Brubaker and Cooper dissect the term "identity" as it is often used in academia and in politics. The authors allege that identity is too broad of a term to be used the way it is currently used, and that the multiple competing meanings of identity warrant the use of alternative and more specific terms. The article outlines multiple dimensions of identity: as categorical or relational identification, as an element of self-understanding, and as a means for connectedness and commonality within groups. Several real-world examples are presented that engage with the concept of identity and reveal its complicated nature, and the article concludes with a restatement of the idea that the term "identity" is not nuanced enough in its modern use. 

Identity is the way that a person relates themselves to other people and to society. This definition of identity accommodates group affiliations as well as personal identifications that aren't necessarily easy to group. While identifiers like citizenship, ethnicity, and sex at birth are fairly easy to classify in most cases, identity in general is a much more fluid and ever-changing concept. I believe that identity is developed by lived experience. This accommodates for chosen self-identification as well as the effects of external forces. Brubaker and Cooper seem to say (especially in their discussions of real-world examples) that identity in general is easier understood as a constructivist concept than as a primordialist one, and I agree with that sentiment. Your identity is the product of everything you have seen, heard, and felt. For this reason, I'm inclined to believe that while certain elements of identity can be grouped, that everyone's identity is unique in some way. 

In terms of political science, identity plays a major role in how people behave, but it may affect people in different ways. Some people may identify with a certain organization and that affiliation alone, that aspect of their identity, completely governs their political engagement. In Michigan, for example, there has historically been a large subset of union members who vote Democrat because the union says to vote democrat. Even though many members of the union may be conservative in their own beliefs, their affiliation with the union, that aspect of their identity, is strong enough to govern their political behavior in spite of their own beliefs. On the other hand, some people have political identities that constantly evolve and change the way that those people participate in politics; in the "election Twitter" world, the infamous Obama-Trump voters come to mind (a group of unknown size, but possibly including as many as several million Americans who voted for President Obama in 2008 and/or 2012 and then for President Trump in 2016). These voters bucked party and partisanship, two of the most salient identifiers in American politics. Identity effects all politics, but not in the same way. Studying and dissecting how identity effects political participation is worthwhile. 

I do appreciate the sentiment that the term "identity" is perhaps used too broadly in the modern discourse. With that said, I remain deeply skeptical of articles like these, which seem to be so lengthy that they water down their few otherwise salient points. I am also skeptical of the idea that identity as a term, though perhaps overused, is simply too broad to be used effectively. It is an accessible term, one that most people have some understanding of, even if that understanding is not easy to put into words. I think the tripartite breakdown of identity laid out in the Brubaker and Cooper piece has legs, and I think the distinctions they make are useful for academic writing. The problem I have is that the distinctions (like the way Brubaker and Cooper elaborate on the concept of "self-understanding) contain a lot of academic jargon that make them really difficult to understand and apply in a cogent manner. 

Comments

  1. You are not only right that the public uses the term "identity" to mean a bunch of things, but academics (definitely including myself) also use the term and do not use "self-understanding" or something like that. Brubaker has a famous book called "Ethnicity Without Groups" where he basically argues the absolute extreme of this position which is that identity is totally self-constructed to the point that groups cannot be effectively formed around identity-based cleavages. My interpretation of what Brubaker is trying to do is to go to an extreme against primordialism, hoping that scholars end up somewhere closer to constructivism than they were previously. So yes, keep using the term identity in scholarly and public discourse, but be clear about ways in which identity forms. That's my interpretation of what he's trying to do in this piece anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you address identity as a sort of cumulation of experiences that lead us to associate ourselves with other people. I also agree that identity is better understood as a constructivist concept and that self-identification plays an important role in one's identity. Your observation of identity at play in politics is very relevant, as politicians frequently try to emphasize certain identities in either a positive or negative way to attract support from key voters. While I share some of your frustrations with the length and complexity of the article, and I agree that "identity" is not a useless term, I also agree with the authors that its numerous and sometimes conflicting meanings make it challenging to employ the term in a productive manner. It seems to me like its versatility can be strength or a weakness, which makes it a unique word and concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your summation of identity as a "product" of an individual's experience. I think this definition goes far to emphasize self-identification while leaving room for group identification as a factor that often influences identity. Additionally, you present some very interesting examples through which identity can be observed and understood as a fluid concept. As you point out, identity serves a role as an accessible term in modern discourse. I did not think about this when navigating the article, but you have a strong point here. Despite its contentions, identity is widely understood and recognized. Even if additional terms could fill in the gaps, the authors describe relative to the term; there is a danger of over-complicating something so central to individuals and society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Activating Identities and Taking Action

How a characteristic becomes an identity

How do individual decisions influence the success of collective action?